Food and wine go together. And in the spirit of togetherness, we’re supporting our friends and partners in hospitality while their restaurant doors are temporarily closed.
Our OPEN KITCHEN series features recipes, wine pairings and video tutorials from the home kitchens of some of the country’s most exciting chefs.
Until the reservation books are open again, we hope you’ll enjoy these small bites of culinary creativity. Do try this at home and share with us on Instagram.
Niall Keating joined Whatley Manor in late 2017, and quickly achieved two Michelin stars for his contemporary Asian-inspired cuisine in The Dining Room at the luxury Cotswolds country house hotel. His background encompasses prestigious international experience, including at Kong Hans Kælder in Copenhagen (two Michelin stars), in San Francisco at Benu (three Michelin stars), and at Sat Bains in Nottingham (two Michelin stars).
Niall was recently crowned 'Champion of Champions' on the Great British Menu 2020 for his fish dish, so you can trust that the recipe below will not disappoint! Enjoy it with Gusbourne Cherry Garden Rosé 2019.
Sturgeon “Rillette“ with Charred Asparagus and Poached Egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250ml neutral oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 150g London fine foods smoked sturgeon (my preference)
- 100g potato – mashed
- ¼ Red onion finely diced and rinsed in cold water
- 1 stick celery finely diced
- 1 small bunch chives
Asparagus: 4-pieces Green asparagus per person (peeled)
Poached eggs: Fresh Organic eggs
A selection of your favourite soft herbs / salads
1. Begin by making the mayonnaise. In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt. Use a measuring cup, or anything with a spout, to slowly pour in the oil as you continue to whisk. It is important that you don’t pour too much oil in at once, as this will cause the mayonnaise to split.
2. Take 150g of the finished mayonnaise and use a rubber spatula to mix it together with the mashed potato. Flake the smoked sturgeon with your hands and mix it into the potato/ mayonnaise mix, season to taste. Finally fold in diced celery, red onion and chopped chives – reserve in the fridge.
3. Add the asparagus to a hot frying pan with no oil or butter it will take a minute for some charring to start on the asparagus. Turn the asparagus and add a teaspoon of coconut oil, and a pinch of fine salt and black pepper. You want the asparagus to still have a bite to it.
4. Make sure your eggs are really fresh. Crack your egg into a bowl or into a saucer and bring a pan of water filled at least 5cm deep with water to a simmer. Add a drop of vinegar and stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool. Slowly tip the egg into the centre. Cook for 3-4 minutes Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain it on kitchen paper.
5. Place the 4 spears of asparagus on a plate and a generous spoon of the sturgeon rillettes alongside your poached egg, a final twist of black pepper and drizzle of good olive oil. Finish with your selection of soft herbs and salads.
You may also like...
Lunch at Gusbourne
Enjoy a set lunch and wine tasting in our beautiful Nest Garden Room overlooking the vines.
Five UK Staycations Worth Writing Home About
Great British Summertime. Lazy days and long evenings. Downtime and family time. And after so much time at home, it’s also time for a change of scenery. The Great British Staycation 2021 is a chance to take in some new views – and taste some fantastic regional flavours.